Saturday, March 30, 2013

What Leigha Likes -March 2013

Leigha likes a lot of things in life.  (One of those things is alliteration.)  

This in the first in a monthly feature where I share some of my favourite things over the past month.  

Here some of the highlights from March:


Ann Voskamp has a way of writing that reaches right into the very parts of my soul that I didn’t even know were longing to be touched.   May I no longer cover my wounds in disgrace, may I neither wear them as a badge of merit.  May I simply acknowledge, without shame, their existence.  Their evidence of a redeeming Saviour. 

Shadow of a Doubt -Seth Haines
“Do I really know Jesus? I mean really? Mostly, I feel like I’m groping in the dark for him, like all I want is to touch the hem of the garment and be made wholly alive. But do I know him? I don’t think it’s as easy to answer as all of that”



(okay so this one was posted in February, but I read it in March, and I'm a sucker for satire, so it makes the list)
 *This is a response to a post by Owen Strachan regarding gender confusion in Sesame Street
"While I sympathize with Strachan's concern that boys might grow up to be nurturing fathers, both he and Sesame Street are missing the point. The fact is, Baby Bear should not be playing with baby dolls. He is a bear...[and] the Bible is very clear on the role of bears in human relationships." 

In Which Art is Like Manna - Sarah Bessey
In the days leading up to Leigha May speak going live, after I had told my closest friends and family members, I wanted to take it all back.  I had spiral note books filled with thoughts and ideas and beliefs that I felt completed to share.  But what if no one reads it? Or even scarier, what if people actually read it?  What if I put all my good stories and metaphors on the internet and then I run out things to say? What then?  And then this little post showed up in my feed from Sarah Bessey that quieted my soul and gave me the boldness I needed in spite of my fears.


This soul my mine needs to be consuming poetry on a regular basis.   This month I've been re-reading The Rise of the Trust Fall by Mindy Nettifee.  I've also been breathing in the words of Carrie Rudzinski, who was at this years Women of the World Poetry Slam (Wowps):  "My God, My God/ I am a stupid, selfish prayer/Your voice has begun to sound like my voice/And I haven't yet learned to silence my own fears."

Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency, posted a video critiquing the damsel in distress trope in video Games.  Best Line:  In the game of patriarchy, women aren’t the opposing player, they’re the ball.”  You can also check out my thoughts on the Damsel in Distress and how the church is involved, here.


STORY 101

In April I'll be starting the Story101 eCourse with Elora.   As a result, I've "met" some wonderful women this past month, who also wrestle and worship through words.  Elora wasn't kidding when she said the community would happen instantaneously.  I'm justing getting know these women and all I want to do is put the kettle on and invite them to my kitchen table.

One of these women in Esther Emery. She's doing a series on radical homemaking.  You should check it out.  No, seriously: Check.it.out. (If you're only going to read one-which would be a mistake, read them all- I would suggest this one, on radical homemaking and feminism.)

Holy Week

Check out this video on Confessions on Good Friday:  "It's the only thing left to do."



Holy Week for Doubters - Rachel Held Evans
"And sometimes, just showing up -  burial spices in hand -  is all it takes to witness a miracle"
Digital Holy Week - Brandy Walker
I've been participating in digital holy week every night with a group of wonderful women and it has been wonderful!
In Deafening Silence - Ronne Rock
(Ronne is also from the Story 101 group)  "promises are hard to hear when standing in the brackets"
I've also written two posts for Holy Week,  you can check them out here and here.

Other Things That I Like this Month:  Opening letters that start, "Dear Ms. Cann, Congratulations! This is to confirm receipt of your acceptance of our offer of admission to the MSW program of McGill University."

So what have you all been up to this month?


4 comments:

  1. Leigha, yet again you move my soul and inspire my mind!! You take life and love for God to a new place for me, to a "realness" I never quite knew before.
    Thank you for all your blessings that you share and teach :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your courage for posting your thoughts and ideas. To be truthful I admire you for many things. Continue to make you mom proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have included that you like cupcakes and coffee! lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...